Monday, February 20, 2017

Women's Fiction 6 Years Later

Okay, what you will see below is a post from February of 2011.  Why am I reposting?  Well, the topic of women's fiction, women's contemporary fiction, chick lit, et al is one that is constantly on my mind.  If it's written by a woman or stars a woman, does that mean men can't enjoy it?  Are we not even supposed to read it?  This is ridiculous.  Some of my favorite books of all time are one or the other - or both.  Take a look at the list. And notice the offer I made 6 years ago to all of the men.  Guess what? I was right.  I did not end up sending out any books.  But the offer still stands.  Men, get busy.  And ladies, if you know of any men who would be interested in this challenge, let them know.

One more thing:  Men, I've got 9 authors listed below.  In the last 6 years, I have uncovered (whoops, perhaps a bad choice of words!) numerous authors and books that fit this category. If any of you would like other recommendations besides the ones listed below, let me know.

Hello all,

Did you miss me?  Does anybody even know that I haven't posted a blog for 10 days?  Now that you know that, do you care?  Okay, moving on:  I want to cover what I think is a very interesting topic.  How do we get the male gender of our species, who usually only read about macho men (e.g. Mitch Rapp, Gabriel Allon, or John Wells), to read chick lit?  In fact, what exactly is chick lit?  Beats me.  But I can certainly tell you what it's not.  It's not cheesy romances.  There are a number of female authors who have written excellent novels about relationships (with both male and female protagonists) that I have enjoyed immensely.  Yes, perhaps it can be said that I'm a bit girlie.  But I like to think of it as getting in touch with my feminine side (my metrosexualism, if you will).

Here are some recommendations.*  These are all books that I have read.

Lolly Winston (2) - Good Grief and Happiness Sold Separately
Deborah Wolf (the daughter of someone who worked for Rich for many years) (2) - With You and Without You and When I'm Not Myself
Billie Letts (3) - The Honk and Holler, Opening Soon (the sleeper hit of the year a few years back for Bob and me), Made in the U.S.A., Where the Heart Is
Anna Quindlan (4) - Rise and Shine, Black and Blue, Every Last One, and One True Thing
Jodi Picoult (millions) - her books are either good, really good, or excellent
Alice Sebold (1) - The Lovely Bones
Ann Patchett (3) - Bel Canto, The Magician's Assistant, and Run - very good stuff
Kathryn Stockett (1) - The Help
Sara Gruen (1) - Water for Elephants

That should hold you macho man readers for awhile.  In fact, the first man that tells me he's read at least one book from each of these authors will receive a novel of his choice free, from me.  He can have it in hardcover, softcover, or in ereader form.  I have to say that I feel pretty safe on this one but will be happy
to pay up.

*P.S.  Women will like these books too.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, the name "women's fiction" gets me too. Why isn't there "men's fiction," and if there were, what would define it? You've listed some great authors here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days we'll get somebody to explain this "phenomenon" to all of us!

      Delete
  2. These are all great recommendations that I think both women AND men would enjoy. I think, like Kathy said too, the category "women's fiction" may turn off some men. But a good book is a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I couldn't agree with you more. That's why some of my favorite books are in every conceivable genre - romance, YA, mystery, historical fiction, YA fantasy, etc. If it's a good book, and makes you connect emotionally with the characters, then the genre is irrelevant.

      Delete