- everybody will bring one of their favorite books to give away - either new or used (Recycle does have both, after all)
- everybody will draw a number when they check in
- everybody will take a couple of minutes to describe their book to the group (if we have a lot of people, we'll split up into different groups and rotate)
- after we have finished with all of the descriptions, and have placed all the books on a table, we will start the exchange
- the person who drew #1 will go to the table and pick a book
- #2 will then either pick another book or steal the book from #1 - a book can be stolen many times
- anytime a book is stolen, the steelee (yes, I know that's not a real word) picks another one - that book cannot be stolen
- after the last person has gotten a book, then everybody can descend on the table and pick up any books that are still there - these could be ARCs, clearance books, and what-have-you's
- everybody WILL leave there with at least one new book of his/her choosing
Kepler's also had an author there each time to read from his/her book, The author's book(s) was available for sale. I don't know if we will do that. But it's possible. If we have half the good time that I had at several sessions of the Kepler's Book Exchange, then it will still be loads of fun.
P.S. You do NOT have to be an RBC member to attend. It's open to the entire book-loving community. That's all of you, right?
1. I know many of you are big fans of Elena Ferrante's My Brilliant Friend, et al. Well, HBO has announced that it will be making a mini-series (8 episodes) of book 1 sometime in 2018. I'm pretty sure that I won't be watching it. But you never know.
2. Daniel Silva's 17th book in the Gabriel Allon series (and 20th overall), House of Spies, will be coming out July 11 of this year. I know I will be grabbing that sucker either on or very near the release date. And, by the way, his 1st book, The Unlikely Spy, is a standalone that is totally terrific. I have it on my rec table.
3. Kepler's just announced that Bill Nye, The Science Guy, will be coming to the San Mateo Performing Arts Center on Friday night, July 14, at 7:30. He will be promoting his new book, Everything All At Once. You can go on the Kepler's website to purchase tickets.
4. I have been asked to let everybody know about a women's fiction 1-day writing seminar that will take place on May 20 in Redwood City. http://womensfictionwriters.