1. How did you end up owning word after word books? I had always wanted to open a bookstore. Another long-time local bookshop here in town was closing. So my business partner, Andie Keith, and I joined up and wanted to make sure that Truckee wasn’t without a bookstore. We opened Word After Word just a couple of months after the other
2. How long have you owned word after word books? We’ve been open since Mid-February, 2017.
3. Do you have book clubs, kids’ activities, YA groups, etc.? Yes, we do storytime and plan on putting together some great YA bookclubs. We have many teens here on staff, and they are really excited about YA books and have been a huge help in building up our YA section. And, yes, we currently support local book clubs with discounts on their bookclub books. We’re excited to start up a bookclub through our store as well.
4. Are you a Tahoe native? No, I am not a native Tahoe gal. I’ve lived in Ohio, Southern and Northern California, and Colorado.
5. Did you grow up a bibliophile? Yes. I learned to read at a very early age and was always found with my nose in a book. My parents had books in every nook and cranny in our house. I remember sitting on the floor reading really big books when I was 8 years old. I loved to read my mom’s plays. She was an actor so there were always scripts laying around the house. My dad was a journalist and a writer so we just had reading material everywhere. I’d rather read any day than watch TV.
6. Why did you pick Truckee to open a bookstore? Andie and I both live in Truckee, and Truckee was losing a bookstore so we saw that there was a huge need to keep a bookstore in town.
7. How are you promoting your bookstore? Andie’s husband, Scott, owns a marketing company here in town. He’s been hugely helpful in promoting our store through different avenues.