But I digress. You all know what I thought of WMD because I just reviewed it on the 5th. I liked it a lot. So I was definitely interested to hear what Janelle had to say about it. Here are a few insights:
1. Janelle lives in Southern California but is a Bay Area native. Her 1st and 3rd books (WMD) take place in the Bay Area. Her 2nd book is set in SoCal.
2. Janelle actually had a close friend (she thought) who was the inspiration for the character Billie.
3. She wrote parts of the book from a male perspective. It's the 1st time she's done that. Michelle Richmond, who(m?) I saw on August 1 (also at Kepler's) wrote from a male viewpoint for the 1st time too. Both said it was tough. Just as I vouched for Michelle, I am now also vouching for Janelle. She definitely got it right.
4. Watch Me Disappear has been optioned for a movie. We all know that this does not necessarily lead to an actual movie. But at least the option is a start. And, BTW, it would be a great movie.
5. Janelle did not start out to write a suspense thriller. It just kind of happened organically. But it shouldn't come as a great surprise considering some of her favorite authors write suspense thrillers. Gillian Flynn and Tana French are just 2 of them.
Besides Jan's book, I also picked up 1 of Janelle's other 2 books, All We Ever Wanted Was Everything. It's currently sitting in my teetering TBR pile. But at least it's there! I WILL get to it.