Sunday, May 17, 2020

Rich Amooi Keeps 'em Comin'

You all know that I'm a big fan of Rich Amooi's romantic comedies.  And I'm not alone.  Right now Rich is in the process of possibly having his last novel, It's Not PMS, It's You, being considered for a movie!  How cool is that?  But I digress.  His latest is Just Another Silly Love Song.  I absolutely believe that this is his best one.  Here's the blurb:

Two rival radio personalities.  Lori Martin is a positive and upbeat DJ, known for playing love songs and dedications.  Ben Baxter dishes out no-nonsense , in-your-face relationship advice.  Total opposites.  Never in a million years would they want to work together.
Fired for losing her cool after her boyfriend breaks up with her on the air, Lori surprisingly receives a job offer for the coveted morning show at the radio station across town where Ben works.  She thinks she's replacing him, but finds out they want to team up Lori with her archenemy to set the air waves on fire and boost ratings.  Financially strapped, she can't turn down the job.
While their on-air fireworks and explosive chemistry make for great listening, what in the world will happen after work hours?

People, this is a romance.  Let's not forget that.  It is quite possible that there will be a romantic connection somewhere along the line.  Just accept it.  But the way Rich gets us to that point in the story is masterful.

There are really a lot of things I liked about this book.  Let me name some, shall I?

1.  He grabbed me on page 1 and never let up.
2.  Loved Lori's grandmother and Ben's grandfather.
3.  Definitely got emotionally involved with the main characters and even some of the supporting cast.
4.  There is one scene where my jaw dropped so fast and hard that it still hurts.
5.  There were definitely humorous moments; ergo, Romantic Comedy.
6.  But this one has less humor than his others, IMHO, and I think that ramped up the romance.
7.  Rich can flat-out write.  To wit:  "It was as if someone has smacked me in the face with Kryptonite or tried to force-feed me a five pound bag of granulated sugar, one tablespoon at a time."

There were a couple of times when I was able to personally relate to what was happening in the book.  There is one spot when Ben asks Lori not to play any Celine Dion songs.  One hour after I read this (I swear this is true), I turned on my radio, and there was Celine Dion.  And in another passage, Air Supply is mentioned.  I won't bore you with the details now.  But if you ever want to hear a great story about my personal connection to those guys, let me know.

That does it book fans.  Read Just Another Silly Love Song.  Who knows? Maybe it will make those of you who tend to focus on mystery/suspense/thrillers/historical fiction/etc. willing to pick up a romance on occasion.  You might even thank me.  Stranger things have happened!




1 comment: