Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Let's Talk, by Art Rios - A Very Important Book

Let me start this review by saying that not only is Let’s Talk a well-written and interesting book, it’s also an important one.  The cover reads:  LET’S TALK…ABOUT MAKING YOUR LIFE EXCITING, EASIER, AND INTERESTING.  Art reinforces this goal repeatedly throughout the book.  He does it in such a way that it’s a  frequent reminder but doesn’t beat you over the head.


What did I like about this book, you ask?  Everything, is the answer.  Let me list the Top 10 reasons (not in any specific order):


1.   It's very readable.  Self-help books can tend to be dry.  Let's Talk is definitely not.

2.   There is quite a lot of humor.  For example, on the first page of the book he says "I'm a trial

      lawyer - no, wait!  Don't close the book!  There are bits like this periodically thrown in.

3.   There are meaningful quotes at the beginning of each chapter.  They set the stage for what

      follows.  And what I found particularly effective was how he quoted such a wide variety of 

      people - from Buddha to John Lasseter to Cicero to Jack Nicklaus…and the list goes on.

4.   I like that his goal is to create dialogue instead of preaching to us.  He does this, in part, by

      reminding us on several occasions that we can click on his website - RiosTalks.com.

5.   He makes a lot of cultural references that are just flat-out fun.  At one point, he says that

      the one wine lunch and happy hour go together like “mac and cheese, Batman and Robin,

      rum and coke, chips and salsa, and Scooby and Shaggy.”  Are you kidding me?  Scooby

      and Shaggy?  How cool is that?

6.   There are 15 chapters in Let’s Talk.  But Art identifies the 2 that are the most important -

      Gratitude and Kindness.  I couldn’t agree more.

7.   I really connected with his chapter on Power Vision.  This is another name for The Law of

      Attraction.  If you are not familiar with this concept, first introduced to us by Esther and 

      Jerry Hicks, take a look.  I think you will find that it just might resonate with you, too.

8.   Art gives us 3 takeaways at the end of each chapter, which act as a great summary of what 

      we just read.  But don’t make the mistake of avoiding the content of the chapters.  You will 

      need that in order to receive the most impact. 

9.   Chapter 13 - Two Ears, One Mouth - hit me hard.  It’s about listening.  When my wife and I 

      have been with people, we always compare notes to see if they asked the second

      question.  Think about how many ask the first question in such a way that they don’t really 

      care about the answer.  They are probably more Two Mouths, One Ear than the reverse.  

      It's so important to listen, not just talk.  But, sometimes, that’s hard to find.

10. In the Kindness chapter, Art gives us 20 ways to show kindness.  I STRONGLY urge you

      and me and everybody to pay close attention to this list.  We all need to be reminded of

      how important this is to us, our families and friends, and the world at large.


In case you haven’t figured it out by now, I think this is a terrific book.  I am anxiously awaiting

#2.  I will be at the front of the line to pick up my copy.  Do yourself a favor and get your hands on Let’s Talk.  This is a book that actually makes a difference.







No comments:

Post a Comment