Sunday, March 6, 2011

Series - Open-Ended

There are 20 open-ended series that I want to tell you about.  I'll do 10 today and 10 in a future blog.  But before I start, I want to mention a couple of things.  First, I'm getting ready to compile the list of all-time favorites.  5 people have responded so far.  Does anybody else want to weigh in?  I'm going to post what I've got the week of March 14.

Secondly, there are 2 author events to tell you about.  The first one is a reminder that Jodi Picoult will be at Dominican College in San Rafael on Wednesday, March 16, at 7:00.  The second one is Keith Thomson, who will be at Keplers Friday night, March 18, at 7:00.  Keith wrote Once A Spy last year and is coming out with Twice A Spy this Tuesday, the 8th.  Joni and I will be attending both events.

Okay, on to open-ended series.  These feature the same protagonist book after book with no endgame.  Although an author may end the series, he or she typically doesn't wrap anything up.  This is why I call them open-ended (what a wordsmith I am).  This is to be distinguished from series that have a beginning and an end with logical time passages in each book.  Not surprisingly, but a bit awkwardly, I call these series closed-ended.  These will be the subject of a future blog (I seem to have plans for a lot of "future blogs!").  The following are all series that I currently read.  And like they say on Dancing with the Stars, they are in no particular order.

Daniel Silva - his Gabriel Allon is an Israeli spy/world-renowned art restorer.
Steve Berry - Cotton Malone is an American expatriate, ex-CIA book dealer in Denmark.
Vince Flynn - Mitch Rapp is the ultimate CIA agent.
Barry Eisler - John Rain is a half-Japanese, half-American assassin whose home base is Tokyo.
Brian Haig - Sean Drummond is a JAG lawyer.
W.E.B. Griffin has 3 series, 2 of which are on (permanent?) hiatus - The Corps and Brotherhood of War.  The 3rd series, which is going on now, is Presidential Agents, with Charley Castillo.
Harlan Coben - Myron Bolitor is a sports agent (but so much more) with his sidekick, Winn.
Alex Kava - Maggie O'Dell is an FBI profiler who handles serial killers.
David Rosenfelt - Andy Carpenter is a wise-cracking lawyer in New Jersey.
Alex Berenson - John Wells, like Mitch Rapp, is the quintessential CIA agent.

There are a number of us who read these series and very much enjoy them (although Bob is tired of Griffin doing a lot of recapping).  If anybody wants any more explanation as to what these series are about, let me know.  I would be happy to give you more explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment