Saturday, November 22, 2014

A Couple of Recent Author Events

I've had a chance to go to a couple of author events this month (not counting having the very engaging and inspirational Joshua Safran at our Recycle Book Club meeting this past Tuesday night).  The 1st was the launch of Keith Raffel's 5th book, Temple Mount.  It was held at Keith's home base bookstore, Kepler's.  And, not surprisingly, there was a large crowd.  On top of that, Ellen Sussman interviewed Keith.  For me, it was a real treat to have 2 of my favorite authors together in one place.



The 2nd event was last week at Village House of Books.  John Lescroart has written around 25 books, 15 of them with Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky.  I booked John about 6 months ago!  And, even though I don't work at VHOB any more, I was excited to meet him.  And John didn't disappoint.  He's got a long history of writing and gave us a lot of it. Interestingly enough, his career took off with book #4, The 13th Juror, which was about a battered woman.  The timing happened to coincide with the OJ trial.  Nothing like a little serendipity to help launch a career!  



EDITORIAL COMMENT:  People, if you are not in the habit of going to author events, you may want to re-think that.  They are so much fun.  And I really believe that the authors appreciate the crowds they draw.  Think about it.  Just about every good-sized city has at least one bookstore that has author events.  Now, I'm done.



No comments:

Post a Comment