Saturday, December 19, 2015

Los Gatos Library Evening Book Club Finishes up the Year in Style

Tuesday night we had our last Los Gatos Library Evening Book Club meeting of the year. We read a good book and had a good discussion - even though our illustrious leader, Melissa Maglio, was under the weather and unable to be there.  But here's the thing:  She does such a great job of preparation that even us underlings can lead a discussion.  This time it was Iris.  A few months ago it was Cherie.  This is just a very fun club.

So I had great attendance this year.  I only missed 2 meetings.  And one of them I actually read the book and couldn't get there at the last minute.  Here is the month-by-month breakdown, with ratings:

January - Ballad of the Whiskey Robber, by Julian Rubinstein - 2.5

February - The Boys in the Boat, by Daniel James Brown - 3.5

March - Orphan Train, by Christina Baker Kline - 4.0

April - Every Day, by David Levithan - 3.0

May - Still Alice, by Lisa Genova - 3.25

June - Marsh, by Geraldine Brooks (DNR)

July - A Tale for the Time Being, by Ruth Ozeki - 3.0

August - The Rosie Project, by Graeme Simsion - 3.25

September - The Museum of Extraordinary Things, by Alice Hoffman - 2.75

October - To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee - 3.0

November - The Martian, by Andy Weir - 3.25

December - The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, by Gabrielle Zevin - 3.5

Did you notice that I gave every one of the 11 books, except for 2, a 3.0 or higher?  9 out of 11!  And there were 2-3.5s and 1-4.0.  Pretty darn good.  But even if there were a bunch of 2.0s, I would still try to get there every month.  It's a great group of regulars and, as I said earlier (but it bears repeating), Melissa is the bomb.


Our leader

4 comments:

  1. HAHAH Excellent post Mr. Lloyd. I wish I had made it to the meeting as I really wanted to know what people thought about certain aspects of the book. I'll post these thoughts on our clubs e-mail I'll send out today.
    Thanks for making our fun group even funner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the shout-out, Melissa. It's been a great year of meetings/books at the Los Gatos Library Evening Book Club. Looking forward to 2016.

      Delete
  2. Having the right people in a book club is important. It sounds like this one is well worth attending. How do y'all choose the books you read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa sends out a list of options to all of us, and we vote. January is Me Before You, by JoJo Moyes. I can't wait. I loved this book.

      Delete