Monday, December 25, 2017

Do You Want to Win a Book from My Top 11? Here's How to Do It - and Other Miscellaneous Items

All you have to do for the contest is make a comment on this post or the top 11 post from 4 days ago (some of you have already done that, so you're already "registered").  The comment can be anything from one word (e.g. "In," "Yes," "OK," etc.) to a review of one of the books on the list to a rant on what could I have been thinking!  On January 1, I will draw names.  You 3 winners can pick any book from the list, and I will mail it to you.  Easy, am I right?

Besides the contest, I've got 5 other notes for you:

1.  How about a bookstore where you can sleep with the books?  Take a look:

What sort of dreams would you have, surrounded by more than 150,000 books? Gladstone's Library is the only library in the UK that lets you sleep among the books, with 26 guest bedrooms on site. Guests have access to the reading rooms until 10 p.m., a full five hours after they close to the public, or can bring a book back to their room with them for a bit of bedside reading. Read more or find out how to book a room here: https://trib.al/g3OxvAo

2.  Gail Carriger, who was an RBC author earlier this month, and who has written a bunch of books, will be teaching a class to authors in March. Here are some of the details:

March 24 9:00am | Presentation: Brand Management, Social Media & Analytics for Authors
Paid event, intended for authors only. Guests are welcome, but please follow registration instructions from the Silicon Valley RWA chapter (details pending).

You can go to Gail's website or the RWA's website for more details.

3.  I was in a movie theater a couple of days ago and saw a poster for an upcoming movie called The Leisure Seeker.  I got real excited because I loved this book.  It was written by Michael Zadoorian, and, if you haven't read TLS, I highly recommend it.  It's the story of a long-married couple in their early 80s.  The husband has Alzheimers but can still drive.  The wife wants to take one last road trip, on Route 66 starting outside of Detroit and ending up in Los Angeles.  They obviously have some adventures along the way.  The movie will star Helen Mirren and Donald Sutherland. The movie looks good, but the book IS good.

4.  I'm reading Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng.  It was the #1 choice from you readers on my TBR post from November 14.  You already know that I wasn't a big fan of Celeste's 1st book, Everything I Never Told You.  Well, I definitely like this one better.  But it still isn't bowling me over.  As we all know, books (movies, TV, art) are very subjective.  But I'm not sorry I'm reading it. 

5.  And, finally, MERRY CHRISTMAS to those of you who celebrate.  I know it will be great day for you and yours.


6 comments:

  1. I think I won something from you last year so I’d love to continue the trend. That sleepover bookstore sounds wonderful. I may need a trip to check it out. Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Joyous Winter Solstice !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Leisure Seekers sounds good. I'll be anxious to see what you think of the ending of Little Fires.

    ReplyDelete