Thursday, December 13, 2018

I've got a memoir for you...and my 1st Takeaway in a very long time

Stir, MY BROKEN BRAIN AND THE MEALS THAT BROUGHT ME HOME is a very powerful memoir by Jessica Fechtor.  It's interesting because I was sailing along for 62.5 pages, caught up in it but not emotionally connected.  And then BOOM!  Here's what happened to me in the next 14 pages:

BOOM - page  63 -       Jessica and Eli make a mutual commitment
BOOM - page  70 -       the surgeon makes an unexpected comment to Jessica
BOOM - page  75 -       Eli gives Jessica her 1st kiss
BOOM - pages 75-76 - Eli talks to his old girlfriend
BOOM - page  76 -       Sarah, Jessica's mom, reacts to Jessica's announcement about Eli

Now, keep in mind that I read this entire section while walking on the treadmill in a VERY public gym.  Here's this 6' tall guy, walking (relatively) fast, and flat-out crying.  The only good news is that I wasn't crying audibly!  Phew.  Let me point out here that this 14-page section is NOT the only place where I was crying.  It happened a bunch, along with other shows of emotion.  In fact, 2 pages from the end, I may have been heard exclaiming quite loudly "YES!"  That may have happened.

Aside from truly connecting with Jessica, I also was taken with her writing.  It's really, really good and very thought-provoking.  Here are just a couple of examples:

"Baking is an act of generosity, and thereby an act of freedom, since to be generous is to be free from the smallness of thinking only of yourself."  Hmmm...

"...when I went in for the hug, he just barely laid his hands on my back, as if I were a mannequin whose limbs might fall out of their sockets." You can see that, right?

"I checked out of rehab in late September.  I'd missed the season between summer and fall that feels like neither and both.  Just skipped right over it, like an arm on a record player that lifts up from its groove, travels a few rings toward the center, and touches silently back down." We baby boomers can relate to this.

Jessica has a very interesting few pages on the difference between "host" and "guest."  Pay attention to pages 174-177.  We use two completely separate words in the English language.  But, interestingly, that is not the case in other languages.  Take a look.

I told you that I had my first takeaway in a long time.  It's probably been 1-2 years since my last one.  So what did I get out of this book that I want to take with me?  It's about friendship.  Jessica's friend support is extremely inspiring.  I am making the commitment to be a better friend. I look forward to being the friend to my friends like Jessica's friends are to her.  Way cool.

Do I need to tell you to read this?  I don't think so.  I believe that you have gotten the message.

P.S.  There are 27 great recipes in this book that all had a hand in helping Jessica through her ordeal.



    




3 comments:

  1. Great review! I shared it with Jessica. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this in 2016 and loved it too - it was one of my favorites of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can actually picture you on the treadmill. What an image :) Not sure how I've missed this one thus far.

    ReplyDelete