Friday, November 8, 2013

A Nice New Discovery - From An Unlikely Source

This review is for an author that I discovered by happenstance (isn't that often the way?). Greg Potter, who wrote Albatross, is the father of the young woman, Dru, who handles social media for Village House of Books.  Dru mentioned to me that her father wrote an ebook that was self-published late last year.  She said they were hoping to get reviews on Goodreads and Amazon.  I agreed to read it.  And I'm very glad I did.

Albatross has technology, mystery, intrigue, and government conspiracies.  It has humor and even a little romance.  But, mostly, it has a well-conceived, smart story written in such a way that even a technologically un-savvy guy, like myself, can understand what the characters are talking about.  Here is a synopsis from Goodreads:

When a brilliant Silicon Valley inventor on the cusp of launching a world-improving new product is tricked into helping recover a lost piece of secret alien technology of incredible power, he joins forces with a unique female psychic and discovers he must master that technology, and beat the secret forces fighting to control it, to stop a conspiracy seeking to monopolize a key world resource.

Alexander Colfax is the SV inventor, and Jane Travis is the psychic.  They make a very exciting and entertaining duet of heroes.  And although they are pitted against ruthless foes, with unbelievable smarts and resources, they still typically come out on top (not really a spoiler).  But here's the thing:  It's all plausible.  Never once did I say "No way."  I believed that they were able to do what they did in each instance.  We'll concede that I have a pretty low (or is it high?) gullibility factor.  But I think you will be convinced too.


I not only like the story a lot, but I also like Greg's writing.  Some of his analogies create very vivid images.  Here are a couple of examples:


In referring to a machine that is sitting under a bank of lights, he says that it sits "...like a prized ring in a jeweler's window."


When Colfax is shown a very old motorcycle, he asks if it runs.  The old owner says:  "Like a scalded dog."


Finally, he discusses a very soft bed and says, "His body had sunk into the mattress like a toy figure pressed into clay."

I LOVE good writing.  And this is a very well-written book.  Kudos to Greg on his 1st novel. It's a solid 3 out of 4, and I highly recommend it.


P.S.  If it ever comes out in print form, I will be getting Greg Potter over to VHOB right away.









No comments:

Post a Comment