Saturday, August 27, 2016

Do You Want to Know the Meaning of Megalomania? - Read Trump: The Art of the Deal, by Donald Trump and Tony Schwartz

This is going to be a 2-part review.  This 1st part will be about the book itself.  And the 2nd part will look at Tony Schwartz's current round of interviews as it relates to the book.

The question that MUST be going through your mind right now is:  Why is The Book Sage reading a book about Donald Trump?  Especially a book that was published 29 years ago!  Excellent questions.  I have a good reason:  I was challenged by some friends.  So I did it.  What did I think? Did you read the title of this review?  I can't even rate it.

How do I begin?  By quoting the last 8 lines of the book:

In my life, there are two things I've found I'm very good at:  overcoming obstacles and motivating good people to do their best work.  One of the challenges ahead is how to use those skills as successfully in the service of others as I've done, up to now, on my own behalf.
Don't get me wrong.  I also plan to keep making deals, big deals, and right around the clock.

AND the 1st 5 lines of the book:

I don't do it for the money.  I've got enough, much more than I'll ever need.  I do it to do it.  Deals are my art form.  Other people paint beautifully on canvas or write wonderful poetry.  I like making deals, preferably big deals.  That's how I get my kicks.

Get it?  Let me list a few other observations that I have made about this book:

1.  DT basically saved the NYC economy in the 70s and 80s!
2.  DT is responsible for creating the "highly modern glass tower!"
3.  DT very modestly considers himself smart, good-looking, and the possessor of great instincts!
4.  DT refers to $800,000 as "only!"
5.  DT takes credit for deals even when he is in the background!
6.  DT very considerately gives us chapter after chapter of the big deals he has made.

Is the book all boast and braggadocio?  Most, but not all.  Let me give him some due:

1.  He does seem to be somebody that very early on recognized and used the talents of women.  This is true not only of people he hired; but he also gave his first wife, Ivana, a lot of responsibility in overseeing his hotels.
2.  He exposed and fought NYC politicians (Ed Koch, in particular) who mismanaged funds and put up ridiculous obstacles to the growth of the city.
3.  He gives us a couple of interesting chapters.  One is the remodeling of an NYC ice rink.  And the other involves the old pro football league, the USFL.

Part 2 will be all about Tony Schwartz - both the writing of the book and the current rounds he's making on the talk show circuit regarding his opinions of Donald Trump.  Should be interesting.

NOTE TO HILARY:  Do NOT underestimate this guy.  He is driven, relentless, smart, enormously self-confident, and will never give up.





2 comments:

  1. I won't be reading any books about Trump and won't be voting for him either. I think he's dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call. You would feel even more that way if you did read the book!

      Delete