Thursday, March 9, 2017

Another Stellar Romance

You guys all know that I'm a sucker for a good romance.  Do I not fit the mold for a romance reader? You know - male, older than dirt, male. Doesn't matter.  When it's good, it's good.  And you know I do NOT care what genre a book sits in.  So which book/author am I touting this time? Glad you asked.  It's Marina Adair, and it's Book 1 of a new series, Sequoia Lake.  The book is called It Started with a Kiss, and I liked it a whole lot.

Here's the (fairly lengthy) blurb:

With a kidney transplant behind her, Avery Adams is determined to channel her inner adventurer and explore everything life has to offer.  Only problem is, the closest she's ever come to a real-life adventure was sixth-grade science camp.  So to seize the summer in her rustic Sierra Nevada town, she takes a job as a guide at the local adventure lodge. But Avery doesn't realize her biggest challenge will register at six-plus feet of rugged good looks and alpha-male charm.
As a member of the Sequoia Elite Mountain Rescue team, Tyson Donovan has made a life out of cheating death and rescuing weekend warriors from the treacherous terrain.  "The world is my home" is more than just a motto; it's what scares off women who would otherwise try to tie him down.  When his dad's health lands the family's adventure lodge in serious danger of going up in flames, he moves home - and quickly remembers why he left.  Until he meets Avery, the irresistible new guide who makes him want to stay.
Tyson gives the inexperienced Avery a lesson in romance that her books could never teach her.  And with her undeniable spirit for life, Avery shows Tyson the healing power of love. But with one misstep, everything comes crashing down, and they'll both have to take the biggest leap of all - into the kind of adventure that lasts a lifetime.

Let me start by saying something that I'm not sure I've ever said before (or at least not very often):  I thought the dedication was especially cool. I know that every author's dedication is heartfelt.  But this one actually hit me.  If (when) you read this book, take a look at what Marina says just before chapter 1.

Okay, turning to the actual book, here are a few observations:

1.  I enjoyed the book from the 1st page.
2.  The last 2/3 of the book especially had me feeling like I was going 3 rounds with Rhonda Rousey (look her up if you don't know who she is). It seemed like every other page was a blow to the gut...or, more often, the tear ducts!
3.  I don't know if this is a requirement of romances, but I always like when the chapters alternate between the protagonists.  I like the 2 different perspectives of the same event.
4.  There were some supporting role characters that really got to me. Who were they, you ask?  I'm not telling.  (HINT:  Caroline - OMG - and Dale and Irene and...)

What's my recommendation to all of you?  Read It Started with a Kiss so that you are ready for Book 2 this Fall.  You know I would never steer you wrong!


NEW GENRE:  I learned something from Davina at BookBrowse today. It's a genre I had never heard of.  It's called Circadian.  It refers to a novel that takes place all in the same day.  Who knew?



4 comments:

  1. I don't read much romance but do enjoy them from time to time. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I would be reading them if I hadn't met a few in the area. But I'm glad I did and do.

      Delete
  2. Okay, you convinced me to add it to my list. I love a good romance.

    ReplyDelete