Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Another Great Author Event

On Monday night, Joni and I went to one of our very favorite bookstores, A Great Good Place for Books, in Oakland.  We've been to quite a few GGP-sponsored events - either in the bookstore or nearby at a church. In fact, I met one of my favorite authors, Beth Hoffman, at the bookstore.  I always enjoy visiting the owner, Kathleen.  It was our 1st time meeting her employee, Samantha, but are looking forward to seeing her at future events.

In our latest visit, we got to meet Jill Santopolo, promoting her latest book, more than words.  This is her 2nd book (her 1st is The Light We Lost).  Besides hearing her read a passage from her new book, we also learned a few things about Jill:

1.  Jill worked in Brooklyn for the Hilary for President campaign.
2.  She writes short chapters that she calls vignettes.
3.  She published a number of children's books and a couple of teen books before she published The Light We Lost.  She said that drawing on those experiences helped her write books for adults.

Here are what people say about more than words:

"This kept me up at night...and the ending DID NOT DISAPPOINT." - Reese Witherspoon
"Your new tearjerker has arrived:  Fans of Me Before You and One Day will love/weep over this ELEGANT novel." - New York Post
"EXTRAORDINARY." - Emily Giffin

I know that her book will go right near the top of my TBR pile.





2 comments:

  1. Author events are so much fun! I've never read Santopolo's work but I do have More Than Words - hopefully I can get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the two books Giffin compared this to so maybe I need to look for it. I love author events and independent bookstores.

    ReplyDelete