Saturday, February 22, 2014

Amazon Picks 100 Books That Everybody Needs to Read

Amazon's book editors have picked a 100 books for everybody to read.  I'm attaching the link.  It's actually pretty interesting.  Some of the usual suspects are there, of course, but there are surprises.  For example, Where the Wild Things Are, A Wrinkle in Time, Charlotte's Web, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Are You There, God? It's Me Margaret.

I will say, though, that none of my top 12 are there.  So, really, how much do they actually know?  In case you have forgotten what those 12 are (do you really care?), here's the list:

Baldacci, David - Wish You Well
Clavell, James - Shogun (top 3)
Conroy, Pat - My Losing Season (non-fiction)
Conroy, Pat - South of Broad (the only book I've ever read where I felt personal loss with
   the death of a main character)
Follett, Ken - Pillars of the Earth (top 3)
Follett, Ken - Winter of the World (book 2 of the Century trilogy - book 3 in September,
   2014)
Haley, Alex - Roots
King, Stephen - 11/22/63
McMurtry, Larry - Lonesome Dove
Michener, James - The Source (top 3)
Walls, Jeanette - The Glass Castle

Despite the fact that the Amazon book editors are a little out of touch(!), it's still a fascinating list.  I have read (I think - the memory is shaky) 32 of the 100, including, of course, the children's books.  Here's the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment