1. Beth Hoffman's publisher is offering a free copy of Looking for Me, in paperback. All you have to do to qualify for the drawing is write "I am a Beth Hoffman fan" on this blog. I'll do a random drawing (under the watchful eye of the accounting firm that oversees the Oscars) next Thursday and announce the winner.
2. Are you looking for a great Mother's Day book? Think about pre-ordering Share, the cookbook that supports Women for Women International. VHOB can get them into the store within a couple of days of ordering. Don't dilly dally on this one. Any and every mother will be thrilled to have this cookbook.
3. Saturday, May 3, is California Bookstore Day. VHOB will have a bunch of authors throughout the day (10-6) signing books. I will post a lineup, with times, as we get closer to the date.
4. Just a reminder that this Saturday, April 19, from 1-3, Joni Russell, co-author of The Everything Baby Shower Book, 2nd edition, will be at VHOB. She will have a sample baby shower from the book set up and will be happy to not only sign books, but also to discuss any and all baby showers with you. She is an expert! (but, of course, I'm not biased!)
5. I just have to tell you that a long-time employee of Books, Inc., in The Marina (SF) sold 5000 copies of a single book. Isn't that amazing? And the book that he sold so much of is David Benioff's City of Thieves. This happens to be one of my favorite books. In fact, I've always got this book on my table at both Recycle and VHOB when I'm doing my recommending.
6. Finally, and certainly not least, we had a FANTASTIC VHOB Book Club meeting last night. There were 12 of us who met from 6:30-7:15 to discuss Tracy Guzeman's The Gravity of Birds. We came up with a bunch of really good questions. Then Tracy came at 7:15 and answered those questions and more. It was a very lively discussion, both before she got there and after. She was (is) terrific. At around 8:00, she signed books. We didn't get out of there until close to 9:00. Here are a few pictures from the event. (P.S. we met outside in the alley next to the store - a great venue)
Tracy, Rich, Diane, Kris
Hamidah, Mike, Leslie, Ann
Tracy and our very own Joni
I waited a little long to take this one of the whole group