Here's what I learned:
1. Barry's books are character-driven, not plot-driven. In fact, Barry was actually crying a lot while writing the book.
2. It took Barry 8-9 months to write Livia Lone. He was so caught up with the storyline that he put his next John Rain book on hold! Can you even imagine that? Fortunately, the 9th John Rain will be coming out in May.
3. Livia Lone is about human trafficking, AKA slavery. Barry said that there are still 10s of millions of people that are victims of human trafficking. We can all hope that books like Barry's will bring more of an awareness to this heinous practice.
4. Barry's wife, Laura Rennert, is not only a literary agent. She is Barry's literary agent.
5. Barry told a funny story about one of his novellas. A very early review criticized the book because there is a lesbian sex scene in a hotel. Barry wrote back: "Thank you for selling 1000 more copies."
I will be doing a review of Livia Lone in the next 1-2 weeks.