Wednesday, December 25, 2013

And the 2nd Great Author Event Last Week

Last Saturday night, Nate Jackson came to VHOB.  I reviewed Nate's book, Slow Getting Up, a couple of weeks ago and really liked it.  Well, Nate came and read from his book, answered a bunch of questions, and signed a ton of books.  We had a very star-packed audience, highlighted by his parents and his journalism teacher at Menlo College!

Nate not only read a number of passages, but he also told a lot of stories about his experiences in the NFL.  For those of us who are life-long sports fans (and even those, like Joni, who aren't), it was fascinating.  Everybody knows about the big stars from each sport.  But how often do you get insight from the 2nd tier player, the back-up tight end/special teams guy who has to struggle each year just to make the team (at least for the 1st few years).  And then, when he does, he often stands on the sideline, hoping to get into the game for more than just kickoffs and punts.  I'm telling you, it couldn't have been more interesting.  All of my friends that came were very caught up in Nate's stories.

Here, then, are some pictures from the event, including a look at much of the crowd (there were people in the book aisles that I couldn't get into the picture).




P.S.  Not only did VHOB sell about 35 of Nate's books, but Barnes & Noble, Almaden, sold 80 the next day for Nate's appearance there.  Nice!

4 comments:

  1. I bet he had some fascinating stories to tell! I hope y'all had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He did, and it was. I hope you had a great Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a sports fan and yet this sounds like it was a fun event! I wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete