Tuesday, January 5, 2016

1st Time Authors - For Me

Out of 65 books I read this year, 43 were 1st time authors for me (including 6 that were non-fiction).  That's 66%.  Part of it is belonging to 3 book clubs (although I only get to Books, Inc. in Palo Alto 2-3 times a year).  And part of it is learning about and meeting new local authors (15, or 35%).  The rest of it is just getting recommendations from people I know (and trust) and from Goodreads friends.  I also established contact with out-of-the-area authors through social media.  There is even one (The Given Day by Dennis Lehane) I read because I made a deal with somebody who came to my recommendation table at Recycle on a Sunday morning (she had to read The Source).  So there you have it.  And here's the clincher:  THIS IS THE LAST YEAR-END-BASED BLOG!  I accept your collective thanks.

Alan Jacobson (Local) - Spectrum
Andy Weir (Local) - The Martian
Julian Rubinstein - Ballad of the Whiskey Robber (NF)
e. lockhart - We Were Liars
Christina Baker Kline - Orphan Train
Susan Sloat/Kevin Finn - Forward to Camelot
Tyler Draa (Local) - Mastering the Mechanics of Civil Jury Trials (NF)
Paula Hawkins - The Girl on the Train
Nia Carrera (Local) - Love Caters All
Tracy K. Smith - Ordinary Light
Elizabeth Rosner (Local) - Electric City
Linda Abbott - Ten Days in Paradise
David Levithan - Every Day
Dennis Lehane - The Given Day
Ann Packer (Local) - The Children's Crusade
Joy Brighton (Local) - Deadly Secret
John Billheimer (Local) - Dismal Mountain
Lisa Genova - Still Alice
Killian McRae (Local) - Pure & Sinful
Wm. Paul Young - Cross Roads
Matthew Pearl - The Last Bookaneer
Graeme Simsion - The Rosie Project
Bella Andre (with Jennifer Skully)(Local) - Breathless in Love & Reckless in Love
Ann Bridges (Local)(SBC member) - Private Offerings
Ruth Ozeki - A Tale for the Time Being
Sarah Jio - Goodnight June
Vendela Vita - The Diver's Clothes Lie Empty
Kristin Hannah - The Nightingale
Alice Hoffman - The Museum of Extraordinary Things
Jan Collison (Local) - Some Other Town
Dinah Lin (Local) - Daring to Dream Once Again (NF)
Marian Lindner (Local) - San Francisco
Dick Yaeger (Local) - Niki's Discovery
Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird
Lauren Groff - The Monsters of Templeton
J. Ryan Stradel - Kitchens of the Great Midwest
Karma Brown - Come Away with You
Gabrielle Zevin - The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
Amanda Lindhout/Sara Corbett - A House in the Sky (NF)
Mary Kubica - The Good Girl
Adam Hennig (Local) - Alex Haley's Roots:  An Author's Odyssey (NF)
Atul Gawande - Being Mortal (NF)
Rebecca Skloot - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (NF)

2 comments:

  1. I love discovering new authors but hope I'll always have time for old favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I have given up some of my old standbys. But I guess I'm willing to do that in order to accommodate local authors and strong recommendations. And, of course, belonging to book clubs is going to automatically introduce me to new authors.

      Delete