Saturday, March 18, 2017

Quick Hitters - Part Deux

Here is the 2nd part of the Quick Hitters (yeah, I didn't know either that there was going to be a Part Deux):

1.  You know how I'm always referring to my TBR (to be read) pile?  Well, I finally decided to really take a look at what's sitting there.  Here are the different categories of books comprising my TBR pile as of today:

local authors - 11
authors asking me to read their books - 2
recommendations from friends - 4
recommendations from fellow bloggers - 3
recommendations from my Books, Inc. 4th Tuesday Book Club - 1
recommendations from RBC members - 2
upcoming Los Gatos Library Tuesday Night Book Club - 1
gift from Recycle Books employee - 1
recommendation from Joni's workmate - 1
authors I like to read - 1
and my favorite category:
I have no idea who recommended it - 1

There are, of course, a number of crossovers.  But I tried to pick the most dominant category.  And, lest you think that the 28 are all I've got, there are another couple dozen in the back of my car!  They have not yet made their way upstairs to my bookshelf.  However, I am counseling them not to give up hope.  Some of these others could be headed down. And then...who know's who/what will replace them?

2.  Tomorrow, Sunday, the 19th, Linda Gunther will be selling and signing her books at Recycle.  I will be there, too, doing my usual recommending.  If you're at the Campbell Farmers Market, stop by.

3.  Our next RBC meeting is this coming Wednesday night, the 22nd. Terry Shames will be there answering questions about book 1 of her Samuel Craddock series.  It's called A Killing at Cotton Hill.  And she will also have the other books in the series available for buying and signing.

4.  I am 93 pages into Sheldon Siegel's latest Mike and Rosie legal thriller.  #8 is called Felony Murder Rule and is Sheldon's usual top notch, engaging writing.  Plus, he is our RBC author for October.  He will be at Recycle on Sunday, the 22nd, at 4:00.  If you haven't read any books in this series, you should start.  They're enormous fun with a lot of humor.  Book 1 is Special Circumstances.  And our assigned book for the book club meeting is #2, Incriminating Evidence.  Once you start, you won't be able to stop.

5.  Finally, our book this month for the Books, Inc. 4th Tuesday Night Book Club is Selection Day, by Aravind Adiga.  He is the Man Booker Prize winner for The White Tiger.  Even though I was worried about getting through a book written by an award-winning author(!), I figured that I could gut out 285 pages.  Uh, nope.  I got to 130 and said Buh-Bye. I'd rather miss the meeting than read all 285 pages.

I do not plan on Quick Hitters, Part Trois...but you never know.


2 comments:

  1. I struggle with a lot of those award winners too. Kudos to you for giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I might investigate what criteria go into making an award-winner...but probably not.

      Delete