Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Tons 'o Stuff

1.  Books Inc. is opening in The Pruneyard soon.  This is the 1st bookstore in The Pruneyard since Barnes & Noble left several years ago.

2.  Jodi Picoult's next book will be coming out on October 2.  It's called A Spark of Light and centers on reproductive rights.

3.  I've got one brand new paperback copy of The Life Intended by Kristin Harmel.  This is a 4/4 for me.  It can be yours if you comment on this blog post.  We will draw a winner in a week's time.

4.  Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple is being made into a movie starring Cate Blanchett.  It will hit the cineplexes in late 2018.

5.  Karen White's publisher is giving away her new book in paperback. The Night the Lights Went Out gets awarded based on the same conditions as #3.

6.  I've got a used hardcover copy (in good condition) of Sally Hepworth's latest (and 4th), The Family Next Door.  How do you win?  See #3 and #5.

7.  I think you all know how much I liked Michael Zadoorian's The Leisure Seeker.  And then I found out that it was going to be a movie starring Helen Mirren and Donald Sutherland.  Boy was I excited to see it.  And boy was I disappointed.  2.5/4

8. Season 3 of Queen Sugar, based on the book of the same name by Natalie Baszile, will be starting on May 28/29 on the OWN.  Can't wait.

9.  The Illuminator's Gift, book 1 in Alina Sayre's 4-book The Voyages of the Legend series, will be coming out in audiobook this summer. Although the series is geared for 9-14 year olds, I loved it.  And, believe me, I am NOT in that age group!

10.  On the weekend of April 28 & 29, the 4th annual Bay Area Book Festival will be held in downtown Berkeley.

11.  We finally have another Meg Waite Clayton book hitting the bookstores.  It's called Beautiful Exiles.  It's an historical fiction that takes place in 1936 and talks about a budding relationship between journalist Martha Gellhorn and Ernest Hemingway when they are together covering the Spanish Civil War.  Get set for the August 1 release.

12.  For those of us who grew up with Beezus, Ramona, and Henry Huggins, author Beverly Cleary turned 102 on 4/12/18.

13.  Saturday, April 28 is Independent Bookstore Day.  Please show support for your local bookstore.

37 comments:

  1. I’m excited for Books Inc in the Pruneyard and I’d love a copy of the Life Intended. I’ve read The Paris Wife about Hemingway’s 1st(?) wife Hadley so The Beautiful Exiles sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never read The Paris Wife. I kept seeing it in bookstores and from other bloggers. But I just never got to it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for these tidbits of news. I grew up reading Beverly Cleary books. I can't believe she's 102!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just as surprised as you. I'm sure her books still hold up today.

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to having a book store back in the Pruneyard and a burger at the Burger Lounge. I read a book about Gellhorn and Hemingway that was written by Gellhorn. They had an interesting life together. Looking forward to seeing a movie with Cate Blanchett.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't read any of Meg's historical fiction, you will see that she is very thorough in her research.

      Delete
    2. Sandy, I haven't heard back from #1. So I just told Julie to make the 1st pick. You will get #2 as soon as she has made her choice.

      Delete
    3. Sandy, Julie took The Life Intended. Which of the other 2 would you like?

      Delete
  4. I'm fascinated by the name The Pruneyard and had to look that up. Wow, I can't believe Beverly Cleary is 102!!

    No need to enter me in the giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have very fond memories of reading Cleary's books (even if I can't exactly remember what they were about!).

      Delete
  5. Sharing this post at the Chick Lit Central FB page sometime this afternoon to spread the word about your giveaway. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Beverly Cleary's books, they are amazing. Thanks for all the great things you do for us the readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun info! I have to mark April 28 on my calendar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume you mean Independent Bookstore Day as opposed to the book festival in Berkeley, CA. Yes?

      Delete
  8. Thanks for all the updates! Wow, Beverly Cleary is 102! Loved her books growing up along with Judy Blume! Would love to win any of the books available! 😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you saw, Julie, that yours was the 2nd name chosen. As soon as the 1st name picks 1 of the 3 books, then I will let you know what the other 2 choices are. Congratulations!

      Delete
    2. Awesome! Thanks! 😁

      Delete
    3. If I don't hear from Kate pretty soon, then you will move up to #1. We'll give it a couple of days.

      Delete
    4. Okay, Julie. Make your pick. And then email me at lloydrrussell@gmail.com to give me a mailing address.

      Delete
    5. Sending an email. Thanks!

      Delete
    6. The Life Intended will go out to you today. I know you will like it.

      Delete
  9. I can’t wait for the new Karen White book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to read a Karen White one of these days!

      Delete
  10. I'm applauding Books Inc coming to the Pruneyard! Beverly Cleary lives in the same facility as a friend of mine. They have all of her books in their library. Just a little local tidbit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot wait to see Cate Blanchett at Bernadette - I loved the book and I love her so I'm very excited for the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like a good choice.

      Delete
    2. I don't know, Kate, if you saw that you were the 1st name chosen. So you get to pick which of the 3 books you want. And you can email me at lloydrrussellgmail.com to give me a mailing address. Congratulations!

      Delete
    3. Kate, I'm still waiting to hear from you. I messed up my email address. It's lloydrrussell@gmail.com.

      Delete
  12. Looking forward to the new book store in the Pruneyard and to reading Kristin Harmel! See you soon at the book club!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished Harmel's The Sweetness of Forgetting. It was excellent.

      Delete