Sunday, March 8, 2020

A Bunch of Mini-Mini Reviews

I have read a lot of very good books lately.  But I don't seem to have/make time to give them their proper due with reviews.  So I will do the next best thing (is it really?) and list them with just a few sentences. And, by the way, these are all 3.5/4 or higher.  So here I/we go, in no particular order:

1.  Harlan Coben's latest, The Boy from the Woods, is his typical top-notch tale.  Nobody consistently tells a mystery/thriller/suspense story any better than he does.


2.  It's Not PMS, It's You is the new romantic comedy from Rich Amooi. If you want to laugh out loud...a lot, then I highly recommend Rich's books.  This one is a crack-up.  But let me be clear, he still creates an emotional connection with the protagonists.


3.  The Things We Cannot Say is my 1st Kelly Rimmer book.  It's her 7th and latest. It's historical fiction and takes place in Poland during WWII. Pan Jenoff, one of my favorite authors, writes on the cover:  "Fans of The Nightingale and Lilac Girls will adore The Things We Cannot Say...a poetic and unforgettable tale."  Enough said.


4.  Back in December (Christmas Day, to be exact), I reviewed Windy City Blues by Renee Rosen.  I liked it a whole lot.  Well, it didn't take me long to read another one of her books.  I liked Park Avenue Summer almost as much as WCB.  This one is about Helen Gurley Brown when she became the editor of Cosmopolitan in 1965.  Rosen mixes real-life people with fictional characters (historical fiction, anybody?) incredibly well.  2 Rosen's down and 4 to go!


5.  Barry Eisler's latest, All the Devils, is the 3rd in the Livia Lone series. Everything Barry writes is enjoyable.  AND he is coming to the RBC on June 17 to talk about Devils.  Great news for local RBC members and potential hangers-on.


6.  Everybody knows how much I loved The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell, by Robert Dugoni.  I've got news for you...The Eighth Sister is no slouch.  It's about a former CIA case officer who has his own security consulting business and finds himself looking for a Russian agent undercover in Moscow.  Lots of intrigue.


7.  I have long been a big fan of a romantic series called the Maverick Billionaires, by Jennifer Skully and Bella Andre.  They are all good.  But the latest, #6, Captivating in Love, is one of my favorites.  For those of you who think you are above reading romance, try this series.  You might be surprised.


8.  And finally (for today), I've got an actual history book for you.  It's called Last Train out of Shanghai, by Helen Zia.  It focuses on 4 real children during the years that Japan controlled China up through WWII, during the Communist takeover by Mao in 1949, and beyond.  Very good, and in the epilogue we get a big happy surprise (you'll have to read it to find out).  Helen came to our RBC meeting this past Wednesday, and 9 out 9 people who read the book rated it 3.5 or higher! All history books should be so engaging.


2 comments:

  1. A nice selection, thanks for sharing your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been reading a lot! I've only read one Coben book - I thought it was great so I don't know why I haven't read more. I really want to read Park Avenue Summer. The Things We Cannot Say sound terrific too.

    ReplyDelete