Friday, June 5, 2020

3.25s for 2019...Just Kidding - I've Got a Review for You of a VERY Good Book

Everybody is a comedian...or so they/we all think.  I've actually got a review for you.  It's a book called Love Is A Rebellious Bird, by Elayne Klasson.  It's a love story unlike most love stories.  Here's the synopsis:

This tale of a sixty-year love affair examines the age-old question of why we love the people we do.  A beautiful, charismatic and wildly successful man is adored by a woman.  Even when they were children, he held the power.  Though they are bound by tragedy and friendship, he defines the terms of their relationship,  until finally, in old age, the power shifts. Looking at the roles of Beauty, Insanity, Magic, Deceit, Consolation, Sensory Fulfillment, and, finally, Being Seen, Judith explores why she loved Elliot - a relationship that impinged on every other in her life. 

You all are VERY aware that I am not an intellectual.  And those books that try to convert me are bound to fail.  Having said that, there are definitely authors who can combine literary expertise with readability. Of course Pat Conroy immediately comes to mind.  Well, I can honestly say that Elayne has that skill.  This book is both literary and readable.

I also have to say that she grabbed me right away.  As early as Page 13, I was emotionally vested in the 2 main characters.  And it never let up.  I cared about Judith and Elliot from beginning to end.  It certainly didn't hurt that Elayne can turn a phrase:

"Lilly looked at me with one brow raised, as if I were an item on the menu she'd overlooked."

And let's not forget the awards circuit and a great Kirkus review:

Love Is A Rebellious Bird Has Been Selected As A Finalist For:

2020 Next Generation Indie Book Awards: General Fiction Finalist AND Best Cover Design Finalist

“Best New Fiction” from the American BookFest 2019 Best Book Awards

The Goldberg Prize for debut fiction from the National Jewish Book Awards

The 2019 Sarton Women's Book Awards




“Klasson fills every scene she can with thought-and romance. A surprisingly complex and realistic love story delicately narrated by an endearing protagonist.”

— Kirkus Reviews

Am I recommending Love Is A Rebellious Bird? Uh...yeah.





1 comment: