Monday, November 11, 2013

I Had An Amazing Day at Recycle Bookstore Yesterday

Today was one of my very best days recommending books in front of Recycle Bookstore in Campbell. Here is a list of what went right (nothing went wrong):

1.  While I was getting my display ready, a woman came up to me and thanked me for recommending The Glass Castle.  She absolutely loved it.  That made me feel great because, after all, I have a huge ego.

2.  I recommended 7 books today that the recommendees (is that legal?) picked up the book from my table and went right into the store and bought it.  This beat my old record by 4!  They were:

     The Glass Castle - Jeanette Walls (1 of my top 12)
     The Lost Saints of Tennessee - Amy Franklin-Willis (local author)(4 out of 4 rating)
     A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini (don't remember what rating I gave it
         but thought it was excellent)
     Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett (1 of my top 12)
     The Last Child - John Hart (4 out of 4)
     Looking for Me - Beth Hoffman (4 out of 4)
     Saving CeeCee Honeycutt - Beth Hoffman (4 out of 4)

For Beth's 2 books,  I recommended each of them enthusiastically to one woman.  And, lo and behold, she said "I'll take both of them."  Pretty good, eh Beth?

3.  Besides the purchases, I got to give suggestions to a number of different people.  And I had somebody tell me that they read The Language of Flowers, by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, based on my recommendation.  And loved it.  (Did I already tell you about my big ego?)

4.  I think I "recruited" several people to check out Village House of Books and the author events.

5.  But there's one thing that happened today that trumped all of the other great stuff.  A family with 2 young girls came down the sidewalk, and just as they reached the store, the 4-year old, Madison, said "Bookstore, we have arrived."  And she ran into Recycle.  It was the cutest darn thing I've seen in a while.

Was this a great day or what?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Thank you so for recommending my books, Lloyd. That's incredibly kind of you. I think you've definitely found your calling with all the bookish events your planning and taking part in.

    Loved the story of the little girl who said, "Bookstore, we have arrived." Very cute!

    Hugs to you and Joni from your #1 fan in Kentucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you get to do this and have found success! What a great way to spend a day - talking about books you love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait! It wasn't a day. It was only 2 hours. I was super pumped.

      Delete