Thursday, March 13, 2014

A Rating System Decision

Thank you to everybody who rendered an opinion on my rating system question.  Here's what I'm going to do:

1.  I will give a rating to all books written by national or out-of-the-area authors.
2.  I will not give a rating to books written by local authors.
3.  I will rate all books that I post on Amazon or Goodreads (as Janice said, you have to do that).
4.  I will give all books a rating on my January 1 year-end post.

As several of you said, there's always the risk of hurting an author's feelings.  If it's somebody I don't know, then I don't have to face them.  But if it's someone local, then I will run across them at various times.  What if I give a local author a 3.5 on one book and then a 2.5 or 3 on the next?  It makes sense that one book might be better than another (at least in my eyes), but how will that make the author feel?

I recently read Anna Quindlen's latest book.  I gave it a 2.5.  And, yet, I really liked her others.  Anna, I imagine, couldn't care less about what I think of her books, but maybe that's not the case with a Bay Area author.  So, that's it.  I will still review every book honestly, local author or not.  But there's no compelling reason to put a rating on it.  I know that it's easier for my readers to go straight to the rating and not always have to read the whole review.  In fact, I do that myself quite a bit.  But in the interests of making sure that I'm not hurting feelings, I will adopt this new system immediately.  I hope this works for all of you.


4 comments:

  1. It's hard when you have personal contact with the author (or think you might) to be completely objective. Sounds like a solid plan.

    ReplyDelete