Saturday, June 7, 2014

Another Review from Another 1st Time Author - For Me. Am I on a Roll or What?

Suspicion is Joseph Finder's 12th book, and 11th novel.  He's written 8 standalones and 2 in the Nick Heller series.  But, for me, it's #1.  Why am I reading him now for the 1st time? Good question.  It's only because it was sent to me by the publisher Dutton, a division of the Penguin Group.  And you know what's so cool?  It's not even an ARC.  It's a full-fledged hardcover that I can sell used to Recycle Books.  I am one lucky guy.  I'l probably get $5 credit for this one!

Okay, perhaps you'd like to know what the book is about - and maybe even whether or not I liked it.  Well, I did.  It's a solid 3 out of 4.  He's not Harlan Coben or Greg Iles.  And I liked Kate White's eyes on you better.  But, what the heck.  There's nothing wrong with a 3/4.  I recommend it highly.  And, in fact, I will definitely look to read more.

Having said all of that, let me (i.e. Goodreads) tell you what the book is about:

When single father Danny Goodman suddenly finds himself unable to afford the private school his teenage daughter adores, he has no one to turn to for financial support.

In what seems like a stroke of brilliant luck, Danny meets Thomas Galvin, the father of his daughter’s new best friend, who also happens to be one of the wealthiest men in Boston. Galvin is aware of Danny’s situation and out of the blue offers a $50,000 loan to help Danny cover his daughter’s tuition. Uncomfortable but desperate, Danny takes the money, promising to pay Galvin back.

What transpires is something Danny never imagined. The moment the money is wired into his account, the DEA comes knocking on his door. Danny’s impossible choice: an indictment for accepting drug money that he can’t afford to fight in court, or an unthinkably treacherous undercover assignment helping the government get close to his new family friend.

As Danny begins to lie to everyone in his life, including those he loves most in the world, he must decide once and for all who the real enemy is or risk losing everything—and everyone—that matters to him.

 

Does it sound interesting?  It is.  It's also well-written.  Do I have any complaints about it? Not really.  Some books are just better than others.  And this one is better than a lot of others...and not as good as some.  You want a good mystery?  Read Suspicion.  You won't be sorry.

PERSONAL NOTE:  Much of the story takes place in Boston.  Even though I have lived my entire life in Northern California, I have a special affection for Boston.  And there are 2 reasons for it.  The 1st is that my younger daughter, Lauren (child #3) went to school 4 years at Boston University and met her husband, Joe (who's from Rhode Island). They've been married now for a little over 2 months.

And the 2nd reason is that my older daughter, Meredith (#2) lived in Boston for almost 2 years right out of college (UC Davis).  And that's where she met her husband, Nate.  The funny part about this connection is that Nate is from Winters, which is about 1.5 hours from where Meredith grew up.  She had to go live in Boston in order to meet her husband.

Boston has been good to Joni and me.  We couldn't be happier with our sons-in-law.  P.S. Even though my son, Josh (child #1) met his wife, Jen, here in the Bay Area, she fits right in with great children-in-law.




6 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed the Joseph Finder books I've read. I thought the best was Company Man. Really good. I'll have to get Suspicion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that with all of the reading I do, I still have so many prolific, well-known authors that I just haven't read. I was talking to somebody last night about several authors that I've never read - James Lee Burke, Peter Mathieson (who I have never heard of), and Joan Didion. It's definitely a losing battle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might have one of his books but I've never read his work. It sounds like I should at least give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read a couple of his books and I found them to be a little macho for me. Maybe it was the two I read? I just watched Paranoia, the movie based on his book and thought it was solid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I never thought of the book being macho. But now that you mention it, I would have to say that this still did not come across as macho to me.

    ReplyDelete