Sunday, June 1, 2014

Back to A Miscellaneous/Hodge Podge/Stuff Post

There is no theme to this post.  I simply have things to share.  Notice I didn't ask if you actually want me to share.  This is one of those dictatorial decisions.  Onward...

1.  Tomorrow starts the last week of TTBC (The Twitter Book Club).  We finish reading Tara Conklin's The House Girl, and you all can comment on any part of the book over the next week.   If you read The House Girl, feel free to comment on Twitter - @LloydRussell5, with hashtag #booksage1. Tomorrow, I will announce our next book on TTBC.

2.  This past Saturday, the 3 authors of Legendary Locals of Los Gatos had a launch at the Los Gatos Library.  I decided to attend so that I could get an idea of what to expect when we have them at VHOB on Friday night, June 13.  It was interesting.  I haven't seen all 180 names, but I know that Peggy Fleming Jenkins and Steve Wozniak are on that list. And here's something interesting - John Steinbeck lived in Monte Sereno when he wrote The Grape of Wrath.  He lived in the area for 2 years.  Isn't that cool?

3.  Amalia (Molly) Hillmann, who is the illustrator for Alina Sayre's book, The Illuminator's Gift, and an artist in her own right, is working on a fundraiser for Ryan Saldana's family. Ryan is the 3-year old that died in a car accident in early May.  Here are the links.  And thanks to Molly for doing this.

My fundraiser:

My blog post explaining why I'm holding the fundraiser:

4.  I had a great Sunday at Recycle Bookstore today.  I missed the last 3 Sundays, so I was very happy to be back out there recommending books.  Today I sold 5.  PLUS, I saw all of my grandchildren.  Life is good.

5.  In case you haven't heard, Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch picked up a Pulitzer Price this past week.  I have to admit I haven't read it yet.  But now that I know it's won the Pulitzer, I'm pretty sure I never will.  I'm not crazy about literary prize winners.

6.  Last week, we had Bill Goodson over at VHOB.  Bill, who is a doctor and who has spent his whole career helping women with breast cancer, decided to write a novel.  And this novel deals with an issue that he cares very deeply about.  And that would be rape by a foreign diplomat who is immune to prosecution here in the United States.  The story takes place back in the '60's.  I haven't read it but intend to.




2 comments:

  1. I liked The Goldfinch a lot. It's long and somewhat rambling, but in the end, it all seemed necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep avoiding it but am going to have to read it at some point. It's simply gotten too much buzz to ignore. I think it's in the same category as The Hunger Games and 50 Shades of Grey, and I read those for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete