Friday, January 2, 2015

TOP BOOKS OF 2014

I read 72 books and 23,232 pages in 2014.  That's 5 books and almost 2000 pages less than the year before.  I don't know why it dropped but can't be worried about it.  Maybe it means I had a little more of a life than I did in 2013!  In any case, moving along.  Out of those 72 books, I've identified 20 that were my top books.  These all had a rating of 3.5, except for one (Natchez Burning) that was a 3.75.  This is the 1st year that I can remember where I had no 4.0's (or 4.5's).  And, yet, 28% of all books read had very high ratings.  On top of that, there were another 3-3.25's and 27-3.0's.  That's a whopping 69% that were 3.0 or higher.  I consider that a banner year.  I also had the highest number of DNF's (did not finish) - 5 - that I've ever had (more about that in another post). And, finally, I read 5 books that I either edited or was asked to read an early copy for feedback.  I counted those as books/pages read but did not rate them.

Here is a breakdown by genre.  And, let me point out and emphasize, that all books that might be considered "women's fiction" in some circles are listed here as "literary fiction." I'm not doing that gender thing!  My mother didn't raise any dummy.

Mystery/Thriller/Suspense:
Harlan Coben - Missing You
Richard North Patterson - Loss of Innocence
Greg Iles - Natchez Burning (book 1 of trilogy)
David Baldacci - The Target (book 3 in Will Robie series)
Kate White - Eyes on You

Literary Fiction:
Jamie Ford - Songs of Willow Frost
Tara Conklin - The House Girl
Anthony Doerr - All the Light We Cannot See
Jonathan Tropper - This Is Where I Leave You (quite possibly my favorite read of the year, despite "only" a 3.5 rating)
Betsy Franco - Naked
Rachael Herron - Pack Up the Moon
Ellen Sussman - A Wedding in Provence
Natalie Baszile - Queen Sugar

Romance:
Jennifer Ryan - Saved by the Rancher

Memoir:
Betty Auchard - The Home for the Friendless
Joshua Safran - FREE SPIRIT:  growing up on the road and off the grid (November's RBC author)

YA (young adult):
C. Lee McKenzie - The Princess of Las Pulgas (upcoming March's RBC author)
Suzy Vitello - The Moment Before

Non-Fiction:
Daniel James Brown - The Boys in the Boat

MG (middle-grade) Fantasy:
Alina Sayre - The Illuminator's Test

Tomorrow I will list all books read (minus the 5 early reads) in the order I read them. AND, I will announce a contest for a free book.  Whether you read print books, ebooks, or (listen to) audiobooks, happy reading in 2015.


3 comments:

  1. I have Lee's book to read, but I haven't gotten to it yet! I hope to get to it soon.

    Looks like you did a lot of reading in 2014! Still pretty close to your reading in 2013. Awesome job!

    Wishing you a Happy New Year and a fabulous 2015!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. You too, Jess. It's always a pleasure to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete