Saturday, September 29, 2018

Catch-Up

Next Thursday is 3 MONTHS SINCE MY LAST POST!  Have I lost interest? Nope.  Did I stop reading?  Nope.  Did I forget how to write?  Perhaps. So how do I catch up in one post?  I can't.  But here's what I can do.  I'm going to list the books I've read in the last 3 months along with my ratings.  I will probably even add a comment or 2 for each book.  And I probably will do full reviews on a couple of them down the road. Without any more palaver, here they are:

There, There - Tommy Orange - 2.5 - lots of buzz - didn't do it for me
Three Days Missing - Kimberly Belle - 3.5 - I like all of Kimberly's books
Paris Metro - Wendell Steavenson - 2.5 - this was given to me, and I felt I should read it -
     it was okay
Strained Relations - Marcia Stein - 2.5 - essays on how to deal with teenagers -
     RBC author on 11/28
The Life Lucy Knew - Karma Brown - 3.5 - I've read all 4 of her very good books -
     3-3.5s & 1-3.75 - next one will be in 2020
Slave - Jabali Smith - 3.0 - given to me by RBC member - could be a possible RBC author -
     rough memoir
Things You Won't Say - Sarah Pekkanen - 3.25 - recommended by my East Coast guru,
     Melissa - didn't like it as much as she did - but still good
Everything We Give - Kerry Lonsdale - 3rd in a trilogy - liked the 1st 2 more -
     RBC author - coming back next August with a standalone
The Other Woman - Daniel Silva - 3.0 - 18 in the series - this is maybe my least favorite
The Exes Revenge - Jo Jakeman - 3.0 - got this as an ARC from the publisher - decent
Limelight - Amy Poeppel - 3.75 - another rec from Melissa - and a darn good one
Short Hair Detention - Channy Chhi Laux - 2.25 - tough life but book didn't grab me
     emotionally - her appearance at the RBC was very emotional
Ghosted - Rosie Walsh - 3.5 - Melissa again - and good again
The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion - Fannie Flagg - 3.5 - friend of mine asked why she
     always read my suggestions and I never read hers - so I did - liked it a whole lot
The Daisy Children - Sofia Grant - 3.25 - pseudonym of Sophia Littlefield - I'm hoping she will
     be an RBC author - I'm not optimistic
The Stolen Marriage - Diane Chamberlain - 3.5 - not only recommended by Melissa - but she
     also sent me a copy - Chamberlain has written 24 books - this is my 1st - not my last
When the Lights Go Out - Mary Kubica - 3.0 - highly rated but was just decent


As you can see, my TBR pile has gotten out of control again.


5 comments:

  1. It is good to hear from you again! It looks like you have read quite a few good books. I haven't read any of the ones you have read although a few are ones I would like to read, like The Daisy Children, The Exes Revenge and When the Lights Go Out, for starters.I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been busy for sure! I've only read one Karma Brown book - The Choices We Make - and I liked it a whole lot. It sounds like I need to pick up her other books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're way ahead of me in the reading, but that's nothing new. However, my TBR pile is about as high.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. Meant to ask if you're going to any of the Irish writers events this month?

    ReplyDelete