Friday, February 5, 2021

Another Review You Say? How About Susan Wiggs' The Lost and Found Bookshop

As you know, my last review was for Lisa Gardner's 24th published novel.  That is an amazing feat, don't you think?  Well, Lisa is a newbie compared to Susan Wiggs.  The Lost and Found Bookshop, which is really terrific, is her 40TH PUBLISHED NOVEL!!!  I'm a little embarrassed to say that her 40th is my 1st...but it definitely won't be my last.  

In the wake of a shocking tragedy, Natalie Harper inherits a charming but financially strapped bookshop in San Francisco.  She also becomes the caretaker for her grandfather, Andrew, who grew up in the historic Perdita Street building that houses the store.  Grandpa Andrew has begun to struggle with memory loss, and Natalie plans to close the bookstore and sell the building to pay for his care.  There's only one problem - her grandfather owns it outright and refuses to sell.

Although there are two more paragraphs of intro, I'm going to leave them out.  I've got some things to say, and I don't want to run out of room (or test your patience!).  Here's a list of positives from TLaFB:

1.  It's about a bookstore and takes place in San Francisco - enough said.
2.  The writing is excellent.  Some examples:
     "...he could still remember the way the evening light used to slant
     through the window, settling over her like a benediction while she
     was absorbed in a book."
     "The shock and grief of losing Blythe were so deep and intense that it 
     felt as if a new and devastating emotion had been invented just for
     them."
     + many, many more
3.  I got chills on many occasions, sprinkled in with at least one "Yes!"
     and "OMG!"
4.  There is a variety of great quotes.
5.  2 of my favorite books were mentioned:  The Extraordinary Life of 
     Sam Hell (Robert Dugoni) and Being Mortal (Atul Gawande).  BTW,
     Being Mortal had such a big impact on me that it took 2 blog posts to
     say everything I wanted/needed to say.
6.  Having been very closely associated with 2 bookstores, it was very fun
     for me to read about all the behind-the-scenes stuff.  And even if you
     don't know what goes on when the lights go out, you will appreciate
     what Susan tells us.

Have you figured out yet whether I liked this book?  It's a resounding YOU BET!  The fact that Susan will be gracing our book club with a Zoom appearance in May is just the extra layer of icing on the cake.  Do yourselves a favor and read The Lost and Found Bookshop.  You will be happy you did.





   

3 comments:

  1. How great to have secured a Zoom visit by Susan Wiggs, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lloyd! Great review. It's going on my TBR list because of your enthusiastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I agree that Being Mortal is a must read. Sam Hell is waiting for me too.

    ReplyDelete