Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The 1st Annual Book Exchange

I know that many of you who read my blog are out of the area.  Feel free to ignore this post (you probably didn't need permission!).  But we're going to have the 1st Annual Book Exchange, put on by the RBC.  It will be on Tuesday, May 9, at 7:00.  Based on several that I attended at Kepler's, and following the format that Angela Mann set up there, here's how it's going to work:

- everybody will bring one of their favorite books to give away - either new or used (Recycle does have both, after all)
- everybody will draw a number when they check in
- everybody will take a couple of minutes to describe their book to the group (if we have a lot of people, we'll split up into different groups and rotate)
- after we have finished with all of the descriptions, and have placed all the books on a table, we will start the exchange
- the person who drew #1 will go to the table and pick a book
- #2 will then either pick another book or steal the book from #1 - a book can be stolen many times
- anytime a book is stolen, the steelee (yes, I know that's not a real word) picks another one - that book cannot be stolen
- after the last person has gotten a book, then everybody can descend on the table and pick up any books that are still there - these could be ARCs, clearance books, and what-have-you's
- everybody WILL leave there with at least one new book of his/her choosing

Kepler's also had an author there each time to read from his/her book, The author's book(s) was available for sale.  I don't know if we will do that.  But it's possible.  If we have half the good time that I had at several sessions of the Kepler's Book Exchange, then it will still be loads of fun.

P.S.  You do NOT have to be an RBC member to attend.  It's open to the entire book-loving community.  That's all of you, right?

Other News:
1.   I know many of you are big fans of Elena Ferrante's My Brilliant Friend, et al.  Well, HBO has announced that it will be making a mini-series (8 episodes) of book 1 sometime in 2018.  I'm pretty sure that I won't be watching it.  But you never know.
2.  Daniel Silva's 17th book in the Gabriel Allon series (and 20th overall), House of Spies, will be coming out July 11 of this year.  I know I will be grabbing that sucker either on or very near the release date.  And, by the way, his 1st book, The Unlikely Spy, is a standalone that is totally terrific. I have it on my rec table.
3.  Kepler's just announced that Bill Nye, The Science Guy, will be coming to the San Mateo Performing Arts Center on Friday night, July 14, at 7:30.  He will be promoting his new book, Everything All At Once.  You can go on the Kepler's website to purchase tickets.
4.  I have been asked to let everybody know about a women's fiction 1-day writing seminar that will take place on May 20 in Redwood City.  http://womensfictionwriters.org/meetinginfo.php?id=26&ts=1491323652

6 comments:

  1. My book club does this every December and it's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very cool. Let me know if there's something I should add or subtract.

      Delete
  2. Sounds very fun...ENJOY!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very fun! Wish I was in the area, but I'll try to help spread the word!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete