Monday, May 25, 2020

Michael E. DeGregorio

Back in 2014, I read and reviewed a book called Ditch Kids, by Michael E. DeGregorio.  Now Mike's got a follow-up.  It's called On Safari to Stay, and he tells us about his pre-teen and teenage years.  I'll give you a hint: There's a lot of surfing in it!  And he does a great job of explaining what the surfing life is like.  Although I have lived my entire life in the Bay Area, I have never even considered surfing.  Reading Mike's description made me feel like I was on the water...except that I was actually  safe and dry!  I appreciated learning about something I knew nothing of.

Besides that, there were a couple of really incredible driving incidents that Mike experienced.  Since I  didn't get my license until my 17th birthday (yep, you read that right), it was particularly entertaining and, shall I say, a bit jaw-dropping to read about some of Mike's vehicular escapades.  I think you will enjoy reading about his confrontations with the local constabulary.  It's just a tad different than it is today.

For those of you who are surfers, I'm sure you will be able to relate to Mike's stories.  For the rest of us, it's really okay to live it vicariously through Mike's book.






2 comments:

  1. I find it more interesting to read about sports than to try them myself! Unless Reading on the Couch is a sport...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched Soul Surfer with Gage this week. It was based on the true story of the 13 year old amateur surfer in Hawaii who lost her arm in a shark attack. She went on to compete professionally. It was inspiring.

    ReplyDelete