Saturday, February 4, 2017

Local Bookstore Closes!

Sorry to hit you with another blog post only 1 day after the last one.  But this is important.  Our very local independent bookstore, which has been open for 3.5 years, is going out of business.  I passed it today and saw a big banner on the front of the store saying GOING OUT OF BUSINESS.  This is really some devastating news.  From what I've read, independent bookstores are actually increasing in numbers.  In fact, 2 local chains, Books, Inc. and Book Passage, have both opened new stores in the last few months.  But it still stinks to have any independent bookstore close, especially one in my own home town!

When I went on their website this afternoon, here is what I saw:

WE ARE SO VERY GRATEFUL

TO ALL OF OUR  VILLAGE HOUSE OF BOOKS  FRIENDS !  IT IS WITH EXTREME HEARTBREAK THAT WE MUST CLOSE OUR STORE. WE OWE YOU ALL SUCH A GREAT AMOUNT OF GRATITUDE FOR NOT ONLY SHOPPING WITH US, BUT FOR BECOMING OUR FRIENDS. WE TRIED SO VERY HARD AND WE KNOW HOW DEDICATED YOU WERE TO HELPING US TO STAY OPEN.WE JUST CAN’T AFFORD IT ANYMORE. WE HAVE BEEN SO BLESSED WITH YOU ALL FOR YOUR LOVE AND COMMITMENT AND HOPE YOU KNOW WHAT A WONDERFUL IMPACT YOU HAVE HAD ON OUR LIVES. WE WILL MISS YOU.  SINCERELY, 

STEVE AND CHERYL HARE

Ann Bridges, who is an RBC member AND, more importantly, a published author, had this to say: 

It's a tough business competing with Amazon, who did a remarkable job earning customer loyalty through convenience. With the plethora of reading choices out there, I don't think the concept of "curating" or "recommending" carries much weight anymore. Even the San Jose library is moving its focus to be more of a community learning center, not a collection of great books and the best reading/reference material. And all that is before you realize that the next gen of kids read short snippets at a time, on their devices, and prefer video to all.
 
Publishers and authors are plentiful, and also at the mercy of Amazon's required pricing margins, leaving writing as more a hobby than a professional pursuit. Gotta love the romance writers, who figured out that writing volume and ebooks for voracious fans would work. Wish the other genres did as well.

There you have it, people.  I have unloaded.  And you know what?  I don't feel any better.
 

3 comments:

  1. That is so sad. We've had one indie for a while and then another one opened. It worried me because I wasn't sure our community could support two indie bookstores. The two stores are working together and seem to be doing fine. I have to admit, though, that my loyalty belongs to the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the loyalty thing. But I'm just glad that you've got 2.

      Delete
  2. We have a few indies in the area and I do try to support them, BUT I also support Barnes & Noble because if they fall we will be left with only Amazon and that just makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete